
We finally have internet access at home so I can post! Yep, we're here. We arrived late on July 27th after a long day where everything that could have gone wrong seemed to go wrong. Our poor children were falling asleep on benches outside the Hilo airport while I waited for Matt to come back and get us after taking all of our luggage to our home we're renting (we had so much stuff we couldn't fit all of us and our baggage in the car). This was after sitting there for 3 hours already because the car rental company had messed up our reservation and didn't have anything for us. We finally got to the home and started settling kids down for bed when I found a HUGE cockroach next to the door downstairs. Welcome to your new home! We've seen a few more but not too bad. We've also had quite a few lizards in our house, geckos in particular. Matt found one in a glass in the kitchen on the day we were moving our stuff in. He took it outside to the deck and let it crawl out. Then he nudged it with his foot to get it to move. Unfortunately doing this cut off the geckos tail so the geckos ran away while it's tail sat there twitching for a few minutes. It was crazy. I'll post a picture in the next post because I haven't figured out how to post more than one so far. I'm blog-challenged I guess. We ran around like crazy people on Monday trying to get kids registered for school, set up utilities and shop for the ton of school supplies the kids needed. Jackson and Abby started school on Tuesday. Since Sabrina was starting Kindergarten they had her go every other day and only half days for the first week and then she started full day kindergarten the next Thursday. I can't believe my little girl is in Kindergarten. She loves it of course and is doing great. The kids seem to like their teachers and seem to be adjusting pretty good so far. They are going to a great school. Matt and I spent that first week unpacking, setting up utilities, getting to know Hilo a little and Matt spent some time down at school. It will be strange to be home alone with Aidan. We'll just have to go to the beach alot :-). We went to church last week and then today and people were very nice. It's a much smaller ward than I'm used to but hopefully that will make it easy to get to know people. We have some members just across the street from us which is nice. There is also a family we met today who moved here from Orem about two years ago. They invited us over for dinner on Friday which will be nice. It's hot and humid which will take some getting used to. We don't have air conditioning so we just open windows and let the breeze cool things off. It rains on and off but we've had plenty of sunshine so the rain isn't bothering me like I thought it might.
4 comments:
Aloha back!
Finally you can post! Now get on IM so we can chat since you will have so much time on your hands with just Aidan. :)
Yay! Isn't it nice to get settled after being in limbo for so long? You guys look great!
Wonderful! You guys are in paradise.
Post a Comment