Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Just my luck

So I prayed and prayed that once we got here that I'd make at least one good friend and I've met some really nice people at church. But a few weeks ago we met the visiting high coucilman and he told us about his family. He and his wife have lived here since almost the beginning of their marriage because he is an astronomer and this is the place for that. They have five kids around the same ages as ours. Anyway, he got our number and we got his and right after church his wife called me to introduce herself. She was so nice and we made plans to meet today to get to know each other. We had the best time and I could really see us getting to be great friends. Now the problem....he just accepted a job this week at UVU in Orem. He won't start until next fall so they'll be here another year but geez, I move here and make a friend and they move to Orem. What's the deal??? Is Heavenly Father trying to drive me bonkers? Okay, so I know he's not, but my life seems to be one irony after another lately. Back when we first accepted this job and I was struggling so much, my friend, Katie, asked me if I knew going to Hawaii would solve our problems we were having with Abby, would I be more willing to go. I answered "yes" and she said that whatever the reason for this move, it was just as important. It helped put things in perspective. Anyway, so we're here and go figure, Abby's behavior has improved dramatically. She's so much more pleasant to be around and has done so much better in controlling her frustration. However, Jackson and Sabrina on the other hand have taken a turn for the worse with their behavior, particularly Bri. Our happy, cheerful little girl is now cranky and emotional all the time. So Abby gets better while the other two get worse. ARGH! I guess Heavenly Father is also trying to teach me patience of which I obviously have little right now. I'm trying to look on the bright side though. If I have to go through these trials, at least they're happening in a beautiful place. I sit on my deck and I'm amazed at how beautiful it is here. We're going down to have a picnic at the beach again tonight. There are benefits to living here I guess.

5 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

Awww, it's a lot for all of you to take on and it takes a long time to really feel like you fit in and make friends. Your kids will adapt. Keep showing them the island and how much fun you all can have there. Someday they will LOVE that they spent part of their lives in such a great place!

Persnickety Prints said...

Jeanne, the grass is always greener, huh? I'd LOVE to get outta here for awhile, change can be good, and who knew Abby was grumpy? When i taught her in Primary she was the most intellegent, reserved kid in the class!! You are so brave, AND always find the positive! Loves!

Janice said...

We always seem to as happy as our unhappiest child. Hopefully, things will settle down a little bit and go to a more even keel. You have to give yourself at least a year before you can really assess any move. The first year in this house, I hated it and cried almost every night. Four years later, I love my neighborhood and have great friends.

katieo said...

Is Heavenly Father trying to drive me bonkers?

yes. He told me so.

Our happy, cheerful little girl is now cranky and emotional all the time.
you know, Sam has been having a really hard time lately. Not that the move has made it any easier, but it might just be one of those times when kids have a hard couple of months developmentally. (Wasn't I complaining about Luke before you left?)

I'm going to email you...
and btw- sorry i had to go so quick off the phone the other day...

Terry said...

Life is full of surprises, but not all of them are the ones we hoped for. Give it time Jeanne, the pot is still simmering. Wait until dinner is done.

We have certainly benefited from friends that popped up in very unexpected places. They remain some of our choicest friends.

We love you guys!