Sunday, August 10, 2008



These are pics of us on our first sightseeing trip on the island. We went to Volcano National Park. Jackson had bugged us almost nonstop all week to go so we finally went our first Saturday. It was pretty cool. It's only about 30 minutes away too. We went on a guided tour where the ranger told us about animals and plants around the volcano and some fun legends about Pele, the Hawaiian goddess of fire. We ended up going to Thurston's Lava Tube (the last picture above) which is what the name says, a large tube where lava once flowed and when it stopped it left an underground tube. It was cool. Then we went to Kilauea Iki Crater which is a volcanic crater within the Kilauea caldera which is basically a larger crater. It once erupted and was a huge lake of flowing lava but now is hardened and you can walk across. There are steam vents that show you how hot it still is underneath. That's a picture of Matt and Sabrina feeling the heat of the steam. The hike was several miles and and the kids were pretty worn out at the end. Then we went to Jagger Museum where we listened to another ranger talk about the volcanos on the island (there are 5). Did you know that Mauna Kea is the largest mountain in the world when measured from it's base? Even taller than Mount Everest. We got to see the plume of smoke coming up from Halemau'mau crater which had some sort of eruption back in March and has had this big plume of smoke coming out since then. There's been a constant eruption for the last 20 years or so from Pu'oo'oo which is also in Kilauea. It was a fun and very educational trip. Jackson was very excited to see the volcano and wants to be a junior volcanologist. When the ranger was asking questions about the volcanos, Jackson knew all the answers. We were very impressed. Let's just hope that we don't have a huge eruption while we're here and have to evacuate.

6 comments:

Janice said...

Such great pictures! What a paradise.

Heidi Totten said...

I think I read something when I was there that was talking about all of these volcanoes "dying" and they are on their last gasp. Something like that. I loved the volcanoes there - gorgeous. You are definitely living on the beautiful side of the island! I can't wait to come - post pictures of your house!

Anonymous said...

Hi Jeanne! I was so excited to receive your blog invitation. I finally checked my email today. I loved your pictures. You are going to have such an awesome adventure! Jay has 18 credits this fall semester. The kids start school on Monday. We have one last vacation this friday we're camping for 2 days at the Mustang Ridge campground at Flaming Gorge and going river rafting. We are still not done downstairs, but we've had one nightmare after another, the Matthews broke the master bath facet and used it broken for a week and a half last tuesday lots of water dripped through the drywall and vent and all over the floor, I'm so grateful if flooded before the carpet was supposed to come on Thursday. We just finished fixing the ceiling. The room is so nice I will have to get to be a blogger so I can more easily send pictures. I'l have to set something up soon. Well email me if you have regular email as well larawallace@digis.net Thanks talk to you later. Glad you are enjoying your new home and area, it looks so fun!!!! Lara

The LaLa said...

Hey Jeannie!! Thanks for sending the invite to your blog. We also hiked around the volcano park and into the Thurston Lava Tube when we were there a few years ago. I kept thinking I should be running from flowing lava -- kind of an eerie feeling! Your photos are great. It's so fun to see the sights of Hawaii through your kids' eyes -- they must feel like they're in Jurassic Park or something.

Terry said...

I love the story you put on MyFamily. About Jackson wanting to honor his duties as Jr. Ranger! That is one dedicated young man!

Persnickety Prints said...

Sabrina look 3 years older with that sassy bob! She is so cute, and already in school?