Monday, March 23, 2009

Volcano National Park

You know, people have asked me if I get tired of showing people the same things when they come to visit, but so far, I don't, not even a bit. I think I could go down to Volcano once a week and never get bored. This place is amazing. Mark and Kathy are in pretty good shape so we hiked across Kilauea Iki Crater with them. I watch the videos in the visitors center or Jagger Museum that show footage from it's eruption years ago and I'm in awe. This crater was once a lake of lava, hundreds of feet across. This first picture is of the spot where it first erupted. There was a fountain of lava over a thousand feet high in this spot. As you hike across, you come across steam vents that are hot enough that we joked we should have just brought hot dogs for lunch and roasted them over the steam vent. The kids love this place, Jackson especially. It was a nearly 5 mile hike, I think, and the kids did great. Then we headed over and walked through the Thurston Lava Tube. Then we drove down the road to the spot where the lava flowed down across the road. It was a long day but so much fun.



Jackson at the place of the intial eruption of Kilauea Iki Crater


That's Jackson up on those rocks looking at the big steam vent













No comments: