Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Luau



The luau was amazing. I had been so excited to finally go to on and it certainly lived up to my expectations. We headed down to the luau area and as we checked in we told them the reservations were under Kristine Coppin, Heidi's friend, who works there. She was meeting us there but wasn't there yet so they led us to our table. The man leads us past the long rows of tables and up to a table right in front of the stage. Come to find out that Kristine had called down and asked if they could reserve us some seats near the front if possible. The manager called her back and told her they had some extra spaces at the Ali'i tables which are the VIP tables you spend lots of bucks for. We had a butler who served us and we had all the drinks we wanted for free, which was good because I think I had four lava flows (basically a pina colada with strawberry, AMAZING!). The best part though was that we were front and center for the amazing show. The dancers were fantastic and the music was incredible. It was so much fun. We made sure Ellen tried a little bit of everything, no sense in going to a luau if you're not going to be brave and try everything. Doesn't mean we liked all of it but at least we tried it :-) We made very clear to our butler that our drinks were to be non-alcoholic. Heidi was about half way through her second round when she started feeling a bit funny and realized hers had alcohol in it. We were just glad it wasn't Ellen's that had the alcohol, I'm sure her parents wouldn't have been thrilled about that.We were very careful to check the rest of them and I think our butler was too. It was an amazing evening after which we went back to our room and watched several episodes of House, which I hadn't really seen before but now love, as if I needed any more shows to get hooked on.





The pics of the dancers aren't great because of the lighting but it gives you an idea.

















Ellen and the main dishes: rice, chicken, laulau (pork or beef wrapped in taro leaves), kalua pork, I think some sort of teriyaki beef, can't really remember it was all just sooooo good.


The appetizers: salad, some meat with a mango-pineapple salsa, lomi salmon with poi, taco which is squid, the green things I don't remember the name but they are a sort of fern but kind of like green beans, and poke which is raw fish mixed with onions, spices, etc. I actually liked most of it, I was quite surprised.



The Lava Flow - it was amazing

1 comment:

Bryan and Lis said...

You make us want to come and visit more and more! How fun! And how wonderful to get to sight-see in short sleeves. We haven't enjoyed that pleasure here yet. :)