Monday, March 23, 2009
Akaka Falls
After going to Laupahoehoe, we drove up to Akaka Falls. It was still raining lightly when we arrived but we headed out on the path. I think the path may be my favorite part of Akaka Falls, it's gorgeous. It's so lush and green. The plants and trees are amazing with little waterfalls scattered along the path. When we got the end of the path, we found that a tree had fallen across the pathway, just before the lookout. Several men were there with chain saws and machetes attempting to clear the path. A little path had been made through the foliage so we tromped through, Kath being very glad she'd worn her sneakers instead of her nicer shoes. We got up to the lookout and I was so disappointed because you couldn't even see the falls because the fog was so thick. A woman next to me told me to wait because the fog was moving and we'd be able to see it in a minute. As we watched, the fog drifted by and suddenly you could see the falls appearing out the mist. Then the fog would continue to shift and it would disappear again. I have to say I felt like I was in some sort of fantasy story or something. I almost expected to see elves emerge out of the forest. It was all very magical to me. I loved it.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment