We had a big scare on Saturday at Coconut Island. We had only been there about 15 minutes and Matt and I were sitting in chairs reading while the kids played in the water in front of us. No waves, little beach, 15 feet away, seemed perfectly safe to me. Suddenly Matt says "Where is Jackson?" the last time I had looked up he was floating in the water in front of us using his goggles to look underwater. Now he was nowhere to be seen. We got up and started looking around but no Jackson. Matt ran over to the bathroom and he wasn't there either. Then matt ran to the car while I ran around the island, which isn't very big but had lots of people there. No Jackson. Now at this point I am in total panic thinking either my son has drowned only feet away from me or he went off with someone. Matt tells me to stay with the kids while he ran around the island again. I was terrified. I could feel the panic rising in my chest and I am surprised I didn't start screaming Jackson's name. Finally Matt found him. On the other side of the island is a tower where people were jumping off into the water. Jackson had wanted to go jump but didn't bother to tell us. Matt just happened to see him getting ready to jump. Matt went and got him and I almost couldn't speak to him because I was afraid of bursting into tears or yelling at him. We made him sit on a towel next to me until just before we left as punishment. He actually had the nerve to tell us we weren't being fair. Right before we left and after we had calmed down, Matt told him he'd go jump with him. Jackson used to be somewhat afraid of the water and has recently become very brave. We went to a ward party at a pool a couple of weeks ago and he spent most of the time jumping from the high dive. He said he was so scared but did it anyway. Anyway, I haven't had a scare like that in a long time and I hope I never have one again. Matt and I realize at least one of us needs to be in the water with the kids at all times even if they're only a few feet away.
Video of Jackson and Matt jumping off the tower



2 comments:
No one can scare us like our children.
ARGH! I would have been screaming at him! You stayed amazingly calm!
Post a Comment