Monday, September 8, 2008

Rainbow Falls




While we were waiting for the roast to finish cooking in the crockpot yesterday (yes, I actually made a roast and mashed potatoes for sunday dinner, my mother would be so proud), we decided to go see Rainbow Falls which is only about 5 minutes from our house. I was so excited to see it but when we walked up to the fence there was about a teaspoon of water coming over the falls. What?! Where's the water??? Apparently we have not had enough rain the last week or so because Matt came with Jackson and Abby about two weeks ago and said there was plenty of water then. Oh well, it's five minutes away, we can always go back. He said someone said in the winter when it rains a ton the falls are amazing. Guess we'll be back in December. Still, it was pretty and there just so happened to be a rainbow in the sky. Perfect!

The kids have been bugging me to let them take pictures with the camera so I had Jackson take this picture of me and Matt. There were these awesome Banyan trees behind us. I felt kind of like I was walking in a magic forest or something. Those trees are just amazing.

2 comments:

Heidi Totten said...

We tried to go in January and it was raining so hard that the roads to Hilo were flooded and we couldn't even get there. So yes, it will probably have more water later! Of course, instead we went shopping in honoka'a and had malasadas which was a close second.

The LaLa said...

Terry and I saw those falls in 2005 during our Circle Tour of Hawaii. There was plenty of water then. As I remember, it was in January, and it was misty raining as we drove through Hilo. They were gorgeous. We look forward to seeing them again.