Saturday, November 29, 2008

So I've slacked a bit with the blog this last couple of weeks. Just been busy, sorry. Nothing really exciting unfortunately. Life just seems so much more boring after Grandpa and Grandma left. Jackson participated in the Scouts Rain Gutter Regata and his boat came in second place so he got to go to the district competition (yep, they actually had a district competition). He didn't do quite as well there, okay, so he lost all his races, but it was fun for him.

We all got to speak in church last Sunday. The topic of course was Thanksgiving and Gratitude and the kids all wrote their own talks. The girls both spoke about the things they were thankful for and Jackson gave a really great talk on the true meaning of Thanksgiving. Matt and I both felt like it was better than a lot of talks we've heard by adults. I gave an okay talk but matt's was really great. Unfortunately, with the rest of us going first, he didn't have a lot of time left so he had to cut it down by at least 1/2. He had the interesting idea to go through the conference talks from this last General Conference and pick out things to be grateful for based on those. It was really good and I felt bad he didn't have more time. Then I had to go teach in Relief Society. I really felt bad some of these people had to listen to me twice. I somehow missed getting the teaching gene that runs in my family. Hopefully I'll get better with time. I just get so nervous and then you add that to my tendency to cry easily when I talk about spiritual things and I feel like I spend half the time crying. Not really, but it feels like it. Once again, hopefully that will get better with more experience.

Thanksgiving was nice. It was hard being away from the family but I tried really hard to focus on my own little family so I wouldn't miss it all too much. I almost succeeded :-) It was also really hard being totally responsible for the meal. I like just having one or two assignments, much easier. It all turned out really well though. I banned all condiments from the table so the kids could not drench their vegetables in ketchup or mustard which is how I ususally get them to eat them. It was really all delicious. And I went running in the morning while the turkey was cooking so I wouldn't feel totally guilty about all the food I was going to eat. I was so proud of myself. Last Thanksgiving morning I was running in my first race with my friend Katie and I felt like since neither of us could run it this year, I should at least go running. Just know I was thinking of you, Katie!

After eating, Aidan, matt and I napped while the other kids watched Aloha Scooby Doo. They have recently discovered Scooby Doo and I have seriously never seen my kids laugh so hard. After our nice, long nap, we spent some time playing games with the kids. We've noticed that Abby doesn't like to play games sometimes, she seems to not like the competition aspect. If we don't keep score or play a simpler game she's more willing to play. It was a really great family day.

Yesterday we spent all afternoon at Onekahakaha Beach State Park. It was a cloudy day and a bit on the cool side but it turned out to be great. We met a woman that Matt knows from school who teaches in the Marine Science Dept along with her husband. Matt will be team teaching with the husband next semester. They have two kids, ages 8 and 5 so the kids ran off and played in the water and built sand castles and lagoons and had a great time. We watched The Polar Express on tv last night which I had actually never seen. Cute movie. I love the Christmas season!!!!!!!!! I am so excited for it all to begin...the music, the lights, the joy I feel.

Since it is Thanksgiving week, I'll take the chance to express my gratitude and love for all of you friends and family who read my blog (and those who don't as well). We've been incredibly blessed and many of you have truly been ministering angels in our lives. Thank you. We love you.

6 comments:

Christy said...

Jeanne - We were alone for Thanksgiving a couple times and I know what you mean by not liking having to make the whole meal. Last time we did it, I ordered the whole dinner from Vons. Then I made some of our favorites like homemade apple pie, rainbow jell-o, etc... That way we had the whole dinner but I only had to make a few favorite items. It sounds like you had a very nice Thanksgiving. Don't you love going to the beach on Thanksgiving weekend? That's what we did the day after Thanksgiving too(although I'm sure your beaches are much more beautiful than our beaches.)

Terry said...

Your Thanksgiving sounds lovely and relaxing (at least the post-dinner part). We are grateful to have such a lovely niece who is such a devoted daughter, wife and mother -- not to mention niece! We're so glad we'll get to come visit later next year. And don't worry about that teaching gene -- you've got it. You just need more practice! (Aunt Donna, logged on as Terry!)

blindblogger said...

Jeanne, making the whole meal is hard! I'm amazed you snuck in running too. We had Thanksgiving with 7 other from our branch. I have a feeling Jackson is going to be a successful guy. He's so mature and capable I would've loved to hear his talk.

Anonymous said...

Jeanne,

good job keeping focused on the positive. You had a busy Sunday! Well, there is a lot to be thankful for. Miriam has missed getting emails from Abby. Keep them coming! Thanks for keeping us posted!

katieo said...

Oh I thought of you too on THanksgiving!! I'm SOOO glad to hear you went running. Keep going for both of us!

*mwah*

(btw- you might be able to find a lot of your christmas music online...and since you technically already own it, you wouldn't be stealing if you downloaded it for free... ;)

Heidi Totten said...

It sounds like a peaceful day for giving thanks! I wish you had recorded your talks somehow! I bet they were wonderful!