Saturday, August 29, 2009

Family Day at Panaewa Zoo

I promise I'll try to be more regular in my blogging. Things have been so busy since school started but I'll try to do better. I am afraid everyone is going to quit checking my blog because I've been so bad about updating.

Anyhoo...the local zoo had a family fun day a few weeks ago and we went. It's a pretty small zoo but we went during the time the petting zoo was open (it's only open from 1:30 - 2:30 on Saturdays...strange) which was really fun for the kids, especially Aidan. They had all kinds of activities going on. The kids did a treasure hunt, of sorts, where they answered questions on a sheet about the different animals in the zoo to receive a prize. It required them to read all the tags on the cages, etc. so we learned a lot and it was fun. They also had face painting which was the favorite activity of the day. Abby and Sabrina were butterflies and Aidan was a tiger. He loved it and was very sad when we had to clean it off later. He was very good at roaring like a tiger. After the zoo, we went and got shave ice...for the first time! I know, I know, we've lived here a year and it's our first time? Well, the kids have had it at school but for some reason we've just never gone and got some. Anyway, we went to a small place downtown called Wilson's by the Bay. My flavor was coconut pineapple. One word...YUM! This needs to be a regular activity, it was loved by one and all. Little trivia for you: Here in Hilo, and only in Hilo, it is referred to as ice shave instead of shave ice.


Abby posing in front of Namaste, the very cool white tiger

Aidan doing his best Tiger impression


Enjoying our ice shave (except Jackson who, I had forgotten, opted for a soda instead. Weird kid!)

1 comment:

The LaLa said...

Ice shave it is. Whatever! I love the face painting. Your kids are so stinkin cute! How goes the home schooling with Jackson?