Monday, February 16, 2009

Uncle Corey comes for a visit!


Corey overlooking Akaka Falls - a 420 foot drop


Corey and Sabrina in front of a lava tube

Devastation Trail - this area was formed when cinders from the Kilauea Iki Crater eruption flew over the cinder cone and landed on this area, killing most of the plants in the area. Aidan thought the pieces of dead wood were dinosaur bones.


Getting ready to go into Thurston Lava Tube down at Volcano National Park


Corey in front of Halemaumau which is the part of Kilauea that is currently erupting. When we came down and saw it our first week here in August, it was probably less than 100 feet wide, now it is over 500 feet.

We had a visit from Uncle Corey who is married to Matt's sister, Annie. He had business meetings in Honolulu and he couldn't come all that way and not come see us so he hopped on over for two days of fun. He got here on Thursday night and we were so excited to have him here. Friday morning I had a dr. appointment so I handed Aidan off to a friend, gave Corey the car keys and a map and told him a few places to see around town while I was busy. He went to Rainbow Falls and Coconut Island, two of our favorite places. Once the kids were out of school, Matt took off early and we headed down to Volcano National Park. We learned that the Halemaumau Crater is increasing in size and I wonder if a major eruption is getting ready to occur. Right now it's just toxic gases but maybe we'll get to see another lava lake formed in the near future. After heading home, I took off for the airport to pick up our next visitors, my cousin Heidi and niece, Ellen. They were coming for a 6 day visit. Saturday morning Heidi and Ellen headed up to Honokaa where Heidi's friend lives while I stayed home with the younger kids. Matt, Corey and Jackson headed down to Kapoho for some amazing snorkeling. When they got back we headed up to Akaka Falls and took the 4 mile scenic route where I am sure I saw Christian Shepherd, aka Jack's dad, from "Lost" while we were stopped to look at Onomea Bay. It was very exciting for me. Akaka Falls is truly breathtaking. It's a gorgeous walk through the rainforest and the falls are over 400 feet high. Really beautiful! We headed home and took Corey to the airport. It was so fun to have him here. We hope he had as much fun as we did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everyone looks happy and healthy. How fun to have a visitor. I'm glad Sabrina has found a best friend. That means so much.

The LaLa said...

Wow -- maybe we will need to go to the volcanos again after all. There might be new stuff to see. Do you get sick of going to all the touristy places your visitors want to see? Hope not! We also did not see Akaka Falls, so we'll be up for that in April. We arrive on the 17th, by the way, at Kona.

Jeanne said...

I don't get sick of it at all. It's all so beautiful and interesting, I don't mind going again. We can't wait for you all to come. This next two months will be awesome. Matt's parents in march, my parents right after that and then Donna and Terry after that. I'm so happy.